Wednesday, 27 January 2010

A date.

I have been reading The Artist's Way, and it's an incredible book. Some of the text I disagree with, quite strongly too, but on the whole it's been an interesting experience. Part of the contract in the book is to set aside some time each week for an artist's date, with yourself! I am so looking forward to immersing myself in culture, an arty movie or a trip to a gallery. Nothing too highbrow, just nurturing my inner, childlike artist. I'm not sure where to begin, but there is a lovely butterfly museum in the City closest to me. I may be visiting there on Friday and following it up with a trip to a nearby holistic shop, which was a regular haunt of mine when I lived in this City. A walk through the old Victorian part will finish off my trip and maybe a quick walk past my old flat depending on how masochistic I feel! I feel full of hope and inspiration which is very exciting.

On a sad note, however, I looked out of the kitchen window to see that the snow has taken further toll on my little Summerhouse Studio. I did some serious patching last year as the rain was coming sideways in through gaps in the boards. Now one of these boards is threatening to come away entirely! I cannot be without my studio, my escape and haven. It's the snug where my muse lives most of her life, so I have to dig deep and find the resources to repair what will soon be a tumbledown shack, if I'm not careful. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Julia Kelly said...

I agree with you about the Artist Way- There is much I don't like about it, but it probably pushed me to realize Art could not be something I did if everything else was done- becaues being a wife and mother, that was never going to happen- it needed to be as important as the other parts of my life which sometimes just needed to wait for my Art- enjoy your excursions! and take pics so we can see too!

ruthie said...

I have heard a few folk mention the artists way and had been swithering as to wether i should read it, i think i should after reading your words. I am needing a push as i seem to be doing everything else but painting at the moment, again!! I hope you managed to patch up the studio!! I love the paintings you have been doing, the lunar moth is my favourite. X