Tuesday, 19 January 2010

Lunar Moth.

I started the outline for this painting in the Summer, but only managed to finish it last night. It's amazing the difference a spotlight and an MP3 player can make, I can paint for longer in the evenings with either a little gentle music or a rocking great album from Muse. Seriously. I love these guys and their two last albums 'Black Holes and Revelations' and 'Resistance' are completely amazing.

But anyhoo, back to this painting. I've called it Lunar Moth, as the celestial moths carry the moon and stars around the galaxy at night.



Edited to add: On reflection, I'm not totally happy with the face of the moon. It reminds me too much of another painting.

10 comments:

Tammie Lee said...

charmingly wonderful. I love the light in this piece!

Yarrow said...

Thank you Tammie. Would you believe there are five washes on the background? It took so long to get right and there are still a couple of things I'd change.

pattypan.2 said...

Its lovely Yarrow - I wish I could create something like this alas when I put pen to paper so to speak that's when everything goes wrong and I never end up satisfied with my piece of work - how I see things and how I get them down seem to be two different things. You have a lovely talent

Take care

xx

Morning's Minion said...

Years ago my sister who lived a mile from my own home called me to come and see a wonderful sight. Dozens of luna moths were clinging to the door and window screens of her house. They remained in the area for several days, moving gently about. It was a rare and unexplainable happening and a chance to see these beautiful creatures at close hand.

Yarrow said...

Oh how lovely, MM, I've always loved moths.
Thank you Pattypan, it's just practice and I'm sure you are very good :)

Julia Kelly said...

This illustration is great- the reason I named by biz- moonflower studio is because I love moonflowers and they are pollinated by moths in the night under a moon! hope this gets in your etsy shop!

Yarrow said...

Thanks Julia, there will be a big update at the end of the week.

Julia Guthrie said...

That is a gorgeous illustration! I love it :)

Sherry Byrum said...

I love this one Yarrow!!

Yarrow said...

Gosh, thanks :)