Saturday, 6 February 2010

A break from painting.

I needed a break from the painting this week and indulged myself in a growing obsession - doll making. I went to a large hobby shop and bought some more air hardening clay and splurged on the luxury of two new brushes for painting faces. They weren't terribly expensive, but are lovely all the same :)



I then spent a few wonderful evenings creating some rather ugly little dolls! I'm sure they'll look better when they have some 'slap' on (strange expression, I know, but it does make me giggle!). The angry lass with the boobies is hopefully going to be a version of Tia Dalma from Pirates of the Caribbean, but my dear son is not convinced and laughes a lot at my efforts!



The dark haired beauty is a mini Audrey Hepburn from Breakfast at Tiffany's, although at the moment, she's quite armless :) The other two will be valentine fairies or Angels, although it's getting too close to the date to get them in the shop, so maybe they'll be adaptable!

I've used a selection of eyes, including some that I made myself and a couple of pairs that I got from Ebay. It has to be said that I prefer my own, and they were a fraction of the cost! I'm loving this diversion from painting, and it means that I can sculpt in the house, while I wait for the Summerhouse to defrost. My new problem now with the Studio is that I've noticed the window blind is wet and moulding! Oh for once I'm thinking, roll on Spring!

PS, the Artist Date went badly wrong, as the City was just soooo darned depressing and I turned the car around and fled to the peace of the Countryside! I'll post the pictures of that in the next few days.

4 comments:

a mermaids purse said...

wow i love your dolls- really detailed- i can see the audrey hepburn influence! really beautiful...funny cos on sat i went to a dolls house shop and was eyeing up the massive range of dolls and their little household pieces...not at all as gorgeous as your doll ;0)x thanks for sharing xx

Yarrow said...

Thanks for dropping by, K, and for the lovely comment :)

a mermaids purse said...

i also have to say a big WOWEEEEE at ur art work...i especially love the way you draw horses- they are so magical...i will check out your other blog ;0)xx

Yarrow said...

Thank you K :)