Wednesday, 10 February 2010

Eriskay Pony.

I've been painting a lot of horse and pony pictures lately and the reason isn't just because I enjoy it, but because there is a pony tack sale this coming weekend in aid of the EPS, the Eriskay Pony Society. I hope to sell a few pictures and cards and will donate some of my sales to the Society. As our pony Merlin is an Eriskay Stallion, we have an invested interest in supporting this worthy cause. If you would like to know more about Merlin, you can visit his blog here http://greystallion.blogspot.com I've not written much on the blog since last Summer, as he's basically had the Winter off!!!

The painting started out with a very rough sketch. This is my usual approach to see if I'm happy with the layout and balance.



I then re-sketch it onto a large watercolour sheet. Here I used my favourite pad, only 3 pages left! Some basic washes were laid down and left to dry.



While letting the washes dry, I fiddled about with a couple of bookmarks. Epona and Caraid. Epona was the Goddess of horses, protecting all equines, and Caraid means beloved in Gaelic.



It was so great to be back in the Studio, but by the time I left I was frozen through and there was fresh snow on the lawn! Maybe I was being a little premature by going out there so soon, but I miss the smell of the paint and wood and the absolute silence (other than hopeful clucking of chickens wanting to get in on the action)! I just hope my paintings haven't frozen!!!!

2 comments:

Tammie Lee said...

It is fun to see how you start out and where you go from there. You have a sweet style that I enjoy!

Tuatha of the Isles said...

Love your art ;)