Friday, 16 April 2010

Tia Dalma.

As often happens, when I have a list of paintings to be getting on with, I go and finish something else instead!

The Tia Dalma doll is one of those projects. She's an Art Doll and is my third venture into the World of doll making, for more information about Art Doll's, here is a good link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_dolls . She's been nagging at me for ages and today I just needed to complete her. So from the start to finish, here is her story.

She is the doll on the far left, and with that countenance she was never going to be a delicate beauty!


Her make up and tatoos give her a little depth, but she's still a force to be reckoned with. Ooops, this is quite a close up of her, ummm ribs!


Her dignity is getting a little covered as her corset is finished and her bustle (on the right) is stitched and stuffed.



Next came the underskirt


and finally her overskirt and bustle are stitched in place. I love the scarey shadows in this picture.


A couple of pearls in her hair and on her necklace and she's finished.


For now she shares the unit in the kitchen with Little Audrey.



She's easily my favourite doll so far, but who knows, maybe the next one will take over that position. Who shall I make next, Elizabeth Swan or one of my Holywood gals?

Sooner or later I'm going to have to make some to sell or I'll be overun with these lovelies!

9 comments:

Jasmine said...

She reminds me of Calypso from Pirates of the Carribean. Such a cool look.

Yarrow said...

Thank you Jasmine, they are the same character :)

Julia Guthrie said...

She's fabulous!! I love the step by step process aswell :) xxxx

The Studio at Crow Haven Farm, LLC said...

OMG, these art dolls are awesome, and yes I agree with Jasmine, she does look like
Calypso from Pirates of the Carribean. Awesome job. Have a great weekend my friend.
Cheers
P.S. I'm digging the pic of your Studio!

Yarrow said...

Thank you, LLC, my studio is very seasonal, sadly! But I do love to get out there when I can :)

Yarrow said...

Thanks Julia, I had sooo much fun making her :)

Tammie said...

I so enjoyed seeing each step of the way!
She is amazing!

Abi said...

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and commenting! I really appreciate it :O)
I love your paintings, and as a horse lover - your Merlin is just an absolute beauty.. you lucky thing! :O)

Yarrow said...

Hi Tammie, thanks for dropping by and leaving sweet comments :)

Abi, thank you for the visit and Merlin, well, he sure is a character and I wouldn't be without him :)