Thursday, 29 July 2010

Sad Day.

Today was a very sad day indeed as we said goodbye to a dear friend of hubby's. As I was sat in the crowded Church, listening to such beautiful and heartfelt words, my mind wandered. It came to rest on the image of The Resurrection, by Stanley Spencer.

I love this picture so much, it's been a favourite of mine for years. It's such a celebration of life after death, of loved ones greeting each other after a long separation. It always brings me so much comfort and peace.



Picture from Tate collection.

Stanley Spencer had a huge impact on my ideas of art and painting when I first discovered him many years ago. He is well worth looking up and taking the time to explore his imagery and inspiration. He was a troubled but brilliant man.

3 comments:

Cally's Cottage said...

Sad to hear about your friend- sending you and your husband comforting thoughts...
Warm Wishes,
Cally x

rossichka said...

It's so painful to lose a friend, I know...

Yarrow said...

Thank you for the kind wishes :)