Saturday, 26 March 2011

Merlin in stages.

A rough sketch on the prepared canvas to get the layout right.


Then blocking in some colours.


Filling in more details and working on the shape of his back.


Almost finished, just the background colours to work on and refine his features.


This is one of my favourite poses of Merlins and I feel it sums his personality up so well as he's always ready to take off after whatever catches his eye :D

I'm enjoying playing with light in these paintings and have several ideas forming for the next ones. Meanwhile I have quite a few photos to go through after a successful trip to the Butser Ancient Farm, but more on that later.

Have a good day all :D

8 comments:

Tammie said...

ah, this is lovely. I can feel Merlins spirit in your painting. And i love seeing the different stages!

pattypan.2 said...

Wow, you really are coming on in leaps and bounds your artwork is growing up - I am so pleased for you. I love this one of Merlin and adore the one of Manchee - I think you have certainly found a really lovely style that really suits you. Thank you for sharing that innermost creative part of you that comes out in your art work.

I love it.

Take care

Tricia (aka Pattypan)

xx

Yarrow said...

Thank you Tammie, I'm glad you can feel the spirit,it felt that way to me too :D

PP, your words mean a lot, thank you.x

Dartford Warbler said...

I loved watching the stages of your painting. You really have caught the spirit. I can imagine what a character Merlin is!

Bovey Belle said...

Gosh, you've been working hard recently. Love this one of Merlin and as Pattypan said, you have a lovely style to your work.

You must be delighted that both your children are artistic too. Proud mum moment allowed!

rossichka said...

Thanks for sharing the process of creating Merlin's portrait - it's so thrilling! You know how he feels, there's a connection between you both and that can be easily felt! A marvellous painting, done with love!...

Yarrow said...

Thank you dear friends for such lovely comments :D

Kim said...

I love this piece! Somehow I missed it before, but I was reading old posts.... what a wonderful job you have done capturing Merlin!