Tuesday, 29 March 2011

Neighbours and another picture.

This morning our field neighbours cows were making a terrific noise, so I took the dog and of course the camera, and went to investigate.

I've not seen these cows before so I think they've been brought down from another field, but I was pleased with how friendly they were and managed quite a few lovely photos that I can use for drawings or paintings.
Although this fella is black there are so many blues in his fur that it will be fun (I hope) painting the light variations and the texture of his fur.


These two were so sweet, but a little more timid. I never did find out what the noise was about, but I'm guessing that the young heiffer was distressed over something. She didn't appear to have milk, so nothing to do with calf separation, but she continued to shout at the farmhouse all morning!!!


Last week I took my little camera and headed off to the Butser Ancient Farm. Do check out their website as they have all sorts of wonderful enactments and special open days. They keep small flocks of rare breed sheep, including Soay, which sadly wouldn't come very close so the pictures are blurry! These little Manx sheep had no qualms at all and followed me about as I took snaps. The texture of the adult wool is so long and luscious.


This is the Daddy of the above babies and he's a Manx Loaghtan, a bit scarey to look at, but actually very sweet natured.


I love this picture of him and can't wait to get drawing.


I'm pretty sure this little guy is a Shetland ram, but he looks very like the mouflon ram on the Ancient Farm website, so I need to check that out to be sure. He posed very nicely for several pictures and again seemed very sweet natured. Of course, if I had a bucket of feed he may be a little less polite :D


My initial sketch of the Shetland Ram looked really quite scarey!!!

But after blocking in lots of colours and going over it all several times I'm at a point that I'm happy to share. I'd like to refine his features a bit more as I've not really captured his calm expression. I may also crop the finished portrait as his body distracts the gaze from his head, what do you think?


I know it seems like I'm painting and drawing like a possessed person, which isn't far from the truth in all actuality! But you see, it's only 6 weeks until my first major fair and I'm so worried that I don't have enough 'stuff' to sell. I have to put together a display stand and a gazeebo as well, plus selecting the pictures to take to the printer to be made into greetings cards. Ah well, back to the easel now and time for another sketch, first a quick cuppa :D

7 comments:

a mermaids purse said...

i love your beautiful, realistic charm of drawings and paintings you create, such wonderful detail. love your photos too really capturing the heart of the countryside x

renilde said...

I feel lots of creativity in the spring air here, it will work out fine, i'm sure,you are good at drawing and painting animals,x

Julia Kelly said...

We have a four horned sheep here in the Southwest called a Churro- that the Navaho Indians use to weave their rugs-
love the illustration of the ram!

Bovey Belle said...

Wonderful sheep - you have really captured the ram's gaze. I think he may well be better just the close-up head-shot, though I love the texture of his fleece and want to reach out and stroke it!

Yarrow said...

Thank you BB :D

Morning's Minion said...

I think I would prefer just the head of the ram as a "study"--but the wooly body is nice also--maybe a pair of paintings?
The curving horns remind me of the Big-Horn sheep which we often saw in Wyoming.

rossichka said...

You will succeed, I do not doubt! Six weeks are nearly two months, after all...:)) You just need inspiration... The ram's head is perfect! His body doesn't distract me at all, but you know better, because you are the painter!