Monday, 28 March 2011

Pastels.

Today I dug out the pastels and 'painted' a picture that's been dear to me for many years. This is a favourite of mine, of the Moomin and my darling and much missed horse Oliver (Moomin is about 5years old). I first started creating pictures in pastels when I was very young and moved from coloured pencils into a more 'grown up' medium. I hadn't realised how much I'd missed it until last year's Beltain pictures. As with all of these latest pictures, my initial sketches are very loose with minimal detail.


As with the acrylics, I block in large areas of colour and work details in as I go.


I hope I've captured the feeling between these two, of innocence and trust. Oliver was a fiery horse and would give any adult more than a hard time if they were less than capable, but with both of my children was a guardian Angel.


I'd just like to add, that I started to rough out a picture in my old style and it just didn't sit right with me. Some reworking and I'm happy to proceed with the painting tomorrow.

4 comments:

pattypan.2 said...

Its absolutely charming - I haven't seen a photo of Oliver before only of Merlin. Talk about putting a wonderful memory and a snapshot mixed with the imagination and your own brad of whimsy - its just lovely.

Take care

Tricia

Yarrow said...

Thank you PP, it was lovely to work on this one :D

rossichka said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
rossichka said...

A true friendship! Lovely Oliver! Does Moomin remember him?