Sunday, 3 April 2011

Trying week.

It's been a very up and down week this week and it's had some pretty good days balanced by some totally wiped out ones. However I try not to dwell on things and am happy to move on. It's tough though taking such a leap of faith and investing so much time and effort in a fragile business environment. When the economy is in such constant flux, it's hard to believe that my art will carry me through. I have to believe it for now or I'd not pick up a brush ever again, instead always relying on the guaranteed paycheck. I'll know how the land lies after my show in May and so for now, faith is carrying me onwards.

I've been photographing trees for a new painting. I think the actual tree that will emerge will be one from within me and these will just be used for reference.
The Oak King's daughter, at our field.


The Apple Tree Man, with my last two chickens (it's been a tough Winter for us all.)


And this wonderful spot. A disued chalk quarry that is now a nature reserve. From some of the tyre tracks, it appears that part of it is used by bikers, whether motorcross or mountain bike, I couldn't decide.


It was wonderfully deserted when I explored it with the dog, who ran up and down sheer quarry walls like they were a gentle slope! We will definitely be returning and hopefully avoid the owners of the bikes!


It's also been a trying week for this little trio. A painting in a more traditional style, but one that has been such a struggle. I don't know if it's because this is a much smaller canvas or simply because this style doesn't flow so well for me. This is only halfway finished and I can see some glaring mistakes from this photo that aren't always noticeable when the canvas is on the easel.


A new week and new challenges begin tomorrow, but I hope it's a good one for us all :D

5 comments:

rossichka said...

Well, the times are hard for most of us, but I hope we will survive... And new opportunities in life are there to come! I still think we must stay true to ourselves and our vocations.
I like the way you call these beautiful old trees that surround you. Oh, how lucky you are to live close to nature!!
I admire the way you paint animals, Kimberley! It seems so difficult to me.:)
I wish you a good and happy week, too!

Yarrow said...

Thank you Rossichka, your comments are always welcome :D

Morning's Minion said...

I enjoy taking photos of trees, especially now as the leaf buds emerge, but the shapes and patterns of branches are still visible.
The grain of wood is so interesting whether in natural tree form or finished in a table top--again endless patterns.

Yarrow said...

I love wood too, MM, in any shape or form :D

Nan and =^..^= said...

Hi Kim,
Thanks so much for stopping by my blog..it has been a long time... I'm catching up with you and sending good thoughts. You are an inspiration!
Your art is wonderful and I hope the Show is positive. Sometimes at fairs or art shows the rewards will appear later when you least expect it. It is always good to get out there so people will know who you are and may remember you for a later gift or commission if it is not immediate. Sometimes I think of them as advertising. So good luck and don't give up even if it doesn't meet your expectations.
I love to draw trees, too!
Take good care!