Friday, 15 July 2011

A walk and a surprise.

We went to the chalk pit this week. It's so cool and restful on a hot sunny morning.



A mysterious stairway leads us onto a different path.


And a surprise waited on silent haunches. A rabbit carved from a living stump.


Manchee found something so fascinating and I moved closer to find....


little animals carved from living wood - a chipmunk


and a mouse :D


Further along our walk we found this gorgeous fox pulled directly from the stump of a felled tree. Manchee was not happy at all, as you can see from his low and wary posture. He barked at the poor fox and even ran at it in an aggressive way. Was he protecting me or himself? He has protected me from strangers, so I'll let you decide :D


Up close, it was a very beautiful sculpture and I loved it :D


Our walk was a treasure and all the more delightful because of the surprises along the way :D

8 comments:

rossichka said...

This is marvellous! Incredible! What a SURPRISE! Do you have a suggestion who might be the anonymous sculptor? He's a very good one! Manchee must have been quite confused!:)

laoi gaul~williams said...

how amazing! i wonder who the secret carver is?!

Yarrow said...

I've no idea who the carver is, but I'm guessing he's local to the area, maybe even a worker at the nearby County Park :D

Tammie said...

such an interesting place with all the wonderful carved creatures. It sounds like you had a good time.

Jeanne Klaver said...

This is like walking into fairy tale! I love it!!

Yarrow said...

It was such a magical surprise, that's for sure :D

renilde said...

wow, great to find such magic on your walk!! x

Morning's Minion said...

What delightful animal carvings! Too funny your dog trying to ward them off. I was once given a pair of cloth cats which I set up near a book case--several of my feline residents stiffened and hissed at them for a day or two.