Friday, 11 November 2011

Beeswax polish.

Just a quick post for Tammie who wanted the recipe for my home made polish. Well, to be honest it was a quick throw together polish that I made up without a great deal of research and I'm sure there are whole websites dedicated to the process :D



I bought some solid beeswax from Ebay but quickly realised that it was too hard to work in to the wood unless I wanted arms like Popeye! Luckily I had some soft shea butter which I melted in a bowl over boiling water, added a lump of the beeswax and then some essential oil. For this mixture I used balsam as it compliments the strong honey smell of the wax. I don't think I actually added any honey to this batch as I thought it would be too sticky! I waited for the mixture to cool a little then poured it into a small round plastic container (an old Christmas pudding bowl). If you use a plastic container, make sure the mixture is cool enough not to melt it. Plastic is good for this recipe though, as you can push the wax out and rub the whole piece onto your furniture and work it well into the grain. A lot of elbow grease is then needed to work it into a shine, finishing with a good buff from a soft cloth.

Hope this helps Tammie :D

2 comments:

Tammie said...

greetings~
you are so kind to post this for me. I never thought of making my own polish, but I do love natural cleaning and polishing solutions - well every thing actually. I love how you made this recipe! So organic and went with what felt right and works.
I love bees wax on my art and have noticed that it gets cloudy with time and needs to be polished with a soft cloth.
thank you so much. I will give it a try.
lovely weekend to you.

Yarrow said...

Thank you Tammie and have fun polishing :D