Saturday, 3 December 2011

Under the weather.

I've only managed a couple of days in the Studio this week as I've been poleaxed with a rotten cold. It was my own fault for smugly saying that I've not been unwell for such a long time!!! I have swollen sinuses and a constantly weepy eye which makes for a very difficult time with close up work.

So here is my doll that I finished a few weeks ago. She is based on the Mirror Queen from the Grimm Brothers movie and was for an art challenge on a forum last year. It's taken me until now to finish her as I was stuck on a few simple logistics. A good book on clothes making sorted me out :D


She's wearing a cream silk shirt with a wide scalloped collar, a red corset and overskirt in crushed velvet and her crown is crocheted gold wire. That was possibly the hardest part and was very tough on the fingers! Her hair is black mohair and she's had a trim since these photos because I felt it was a little overwhelming!


Meanwhile, back in the real world, I've been growing herbs on the windowsill in order to have some fresh seasonings throughout the Winter, although at the moment the greenhouse is still producing a lot of the green stuff. Mainly parsley and mint, but I may push my luck with some spinach.


The ripple blanket is such a joy to work on and I'm really pleased with it. I've changed from the pastel shades which will be at either end and am now working in the stronger colours for the middle. It's not a huge blanket, about 129 chains, which is wide enough to cover my legs and any child or pet beside me :D

6 comments:

Kadeeae said...

Hope you're soon feeling better :)

Ripple envy here!! lol

pattypan.2 said...

Love the doll she is gorgeous. And the ripple blanket - I must not start anymore blankets until I have the UFO's finished.

Hope you are okay and thought I would cheer you up a little. I have nominated you for an award. To collect please visit my blog
http://tarragonnthyme.blogspot.com/2011/12/liebster-award.html

Pattypan

x

Yarrow said...

Thank you dearies and especially for the award, PP :D

Bovey Belle said...

I love your doll. She has CLASS! I know a lot of hard work went into creating her.

As for the ripple blanket - I love your palette of colours, especially the deeper ones.

I hope you are feeling too ill to work hard outside, but well enough to crochet!

Morning's Minion said...

I attempted growing herbs on the windowsill a few times--they seemed a bit spindly and lacking in flavor. Maybe not enough sunlight [?]
I'm pleasantly surprised to find that in Kentucky many of the herbs in my small plot are evergreen through much of the winter.

Yarrow said...

Mine are a bit spindly too!!!