Sunday, 18 March 2012

Branching out, or trees on the brain!

On a very wet and misty morning, Manchee and I went for one of our magical walks. We found secret stairways and giant twisty trees, some looming from mist shrouded banks above our heads.


This tree was an absolute giant.


Manchee could stand up in the cavity at it's base and I'm sure I could have squeezed in there too, but it was a bit creepy and imagine that massive trunk suspended over my head. No not for me!


I sat down and played with watercolours when I got home. Throwing a load of paint and salt onto my paper. When it was dry I sketched over it with white pencils and then some acrylic highlights. I'm happy with the result, I'll use it for gift labels and cards.


Then I tackled the sketch of the tiny unicorn. I was going to do this as a watercolour, but instead went for pencils. It's a very long job, filling in each section, smudging and blending and then lifting highlights. But what a way to lose yourself, it's pure and simple fun and the little guy makes me smile so much, he's so like Merlin when he's being cute :D


ps, Happy Mother's Day to all you lovely mummies out there.x

9 comments:

Pussycats and Angels said...

Looks like you two had a great walk...Fantastic trees. Loving your artwork:)
Happy Mother's Day!
Blessings
Julie xx

Yarrow said...

Thank you Julie, have a great day yourself.x

renilde said...

Trees never stop to amaze, don't they always moving to see how they reach to the sky and feeling their strongness.
i see you have been busy creating, i love the idea of small unicorns, beautiful imagination, x

Captain Shagrat said...

I like the little unicorn too...something you can develop further me thinks, he definitely has the cute factor... It make me want to see his future exploits

Yarrow said...

Thank you Renilde.

Hehe, cap'n, as he's based on Merlin, there'll be no shortage of adventures :D

rossichka said...

I've never thought that unicorns have been once little after all... But still with magic power, I believe!:)I like your approach to that theme. I see you worked hard, but the result is marvellous, Kimberley!
How many woods do you have nearby? It must be thrilling to see new trees and to discover "secret stairways", made by someone!...

Bovey Belle said...

I have a yearning for a New Forest walk at the moment but fat chance! You met some beautiful trees with such character, and I loved your art work. What does the salt do, pray tell? Add texture or ???

Yarrow said...

Thank you Rossichka, we must always believe :D

BB, the salt breaks the surface tension of the watery paint on the paper, causing back runs and strange effects. Don't take my word for it, have a play and be prepared for fun :D

Dragonfly Dreams said...

I received the beautiful Stag wood piece pendant and am absolutely delighted with it! To have the mix of fae and the wild from the very talented hands of you, Kimberley, I feel that I am blessed! Thank you!