Thursday, 15 March 2012

Commissioned portraits.

A few days ago I was approached by a lady asking me about portraits. I don't think this is something I advertise enough as she wasn't sure if I did them or not. We had a chat and she's going to get back to me with a decision, but it got me thinking.

I enjoy painting commissions for people and especially if they are a loved pet, but sometimes the need to lose myself in a fairy painting takes over and I neglect to talk about this side of my work.

So here are a few pointers to providing good material if you would like a pet portrait. I work from photos of the subject and they need to be a good quality picture. The layout is discussed at length and you would get two chances to make major changes before I commit paint to the picture.

This picture of Manchee is a good example, it's ok, but a little blurry. The pose is nice though, so it could be used as the main layout with other clearer photos used
for details.


This photo is perfect. Manchee's pose is lovely, the background contrasts well with his fur and his expression is lively.


And this is one picfture I may just have to paint, because they look so in love :D

2 comments:

Tammie Lee said...

yes, we all need to reminded about what is available. lovely that you do so many different sides of art. wishing you the best with commissions.

Yarrow said...

Thank you Tammie.x