Wednesday, 4 April 2012

Lambing and juggling!

Working at the Farm means that I'm having to juggle my time and finances very, very carefully. So far I've not done a great job and both are suffering, but my energy levels have taken the biggest hit.

Yesterday had to be the most tiring so far. I did my work with the ponies and then rushed down to the lambing pen to see if I could be of use. Not having a great deal of experience, I was mostly in danger of getting in everyone's way! I did manage to point out a few ewes that were having difficulties and the experts were there to assist them. It was awe inspiring, but largely chaotic as several ewes all decided to deliver at once some in an alarming fashion. I'll spare you the details!

When peace settled between deliveries, I snapped some pictures.



The large structure in the background is going to be a covered pen for some of the ewes and their lambs next to the visitors picnic area. It's a very beautiful farm :D


Meanwhile, back in the studio the painting continues. I'm not happy with the way the girl's hair blends with the crow's wing, so I'm thinking of a dramatic change!!!


I'm also planning a group of farm pictures to be hung in the Dairy at the Model Farm and the next picture in the Little Unicorn series is taking shape. No wonder I'm tired!!!

6 comments:

Tammie Lee said...

yes, you do sound busy!
Will you be changing the color of the girls hair? it feels like a totem piece, wonderful.

Dragonfly Dreams said...

How wonderful it must be in the center of "life"! I do love that faerie too!
Now - do take some time for those very important deep and healing breaths! On to tomorrow then!

Yarrow said...

Tammie, maybe her hair. I did think of changing the crow!!!

Yes, DD, trying to breathe deeply now :D

A day at home today I think :D

Julia Guthrie said...

There's nothing more exhausting than farm work.. Mark & I did it for a while, although not with animals, but Trevor (the farmer & also our landlord!) used to have dairy cows.
Now they have stables, so have a few animals back on the farm.

You definitely appreciate a good hot bath don't you? :) xxx

Bovey Belle said...

I hope you will soon be feeling better, though it sounds like you are working very hard at the farm. Perhaps some violet-blue highlights at the edge of the girl's hair where it touches the crow's wing?

Good luck with your planned farm pictures and the Little Unicorn ones.

rossichka said...

Oh, the farm needs much of your time and cares! I see it's hard sometimes, but the joy after something well done is stronger, isn't it? Your energy will appear again, Kimberley and you'll feel better for sure. I hope you and your children spent lovely Easter holidays!xx