Saturday, 1 September 2012

Brimful of inspiration.

London was lovely. There's no other way of putting it! We enjoyed the crowds the sights and most definitely the food in Bella Italia :D I survived the Tube despite my fear of the escalators and we took our time to just simply be in the moment there. I think that's the best approach to London when you're a country mouse at heart, otherwise the intense busy-ness of it all has a danger of overwhelming the timid person.

In Kensington gardens is this famous monument dedicated to J.M.Barrie, who wrote Peter Pan. This is the view most often shown of the statue, but you need to get up close to appreciate the fine details of the figures that surround the base.


The artist was George Frampton and the fairies are typically Victorian with a strong influence by Arthur Rackham.


I love the intimate expression in these faces, little vignettes of captured moments.


This is the dedication plate (click on the image for a closer look). If you get the chance to visit Kensington Gardens, do look for this statue, it's far lovelier than any photo can show.


On another scale entirely is this amazing sculpture of Genghis Khan which sits between Hyde Park and the Marble Arch. I was transfixed by the power and captured energy. The artist wanted to show Genghis Khan as a thinker and not just a warrior and I think he managed to portray exactly that. Sadly, the sculpture is only in place until September, which begins today!!!


London, thank you for the inspiration, I'll be back :D

And in case you're wondering, I'm sat in bed, nursing a steaming mug of Earl Grey, a poorly dog and a kitten with a wasp stung face :(

6 comments:

Country Rabbit said...

such a lovely post, a flash from my past!- my nanny and gramps who lived in London would always take us to see peter pan!- It always seemed magical!!!!...the local park squirrels would help us eat our packed lunch too.
I used to meet my acting friend at Bella Pasta ( now Bella Italia) just behind Oxford st.

hope you are well, I often pop by but hardly message! i must get back on track x love your art as always x

Yarrow said...

Hello Kaz, nice to hear from you :D That's the place we had lunch and it was wonderful :D

rossichka said...

Thank you, Kimberley, fo this walk in London! It must have been thrilling to see and touch the Peter Pan monument - one of the most loved character in children's literature! The little statues are really beautiful!
I hope that your dearest pets are recovering quickly - they are lucky to be loved soooo much!:)

Dartford Warbler said...

Your lovely photos of the Peter Pan statue brought back happy memories for me too. We lived not far from Kensington Gardens for a while. The next best thing to being in the country. If you get up early and walk in the Gardens there are rabbits and squirrels everywhere.

Yarrow said...

Thank you Rossichka, my babies are getting better and London was a delight :D

DW, I would imagine the gardens to be so beautiful early in the morning. The river was so serene, I wish I'd taken photos of that too!

YONKS said...

That statue at Marble Arch is fantastic. I passed by it in a taxi last Sunday and was amazed! Great blogDi