Saturday, 17 November 2012

Introducing - Fae Babes


Here is what I've been working on this week while I've been unwell, yet again!!!These little dolls are going to debut at my local Country Park Craft Fair tomorrow, but will most likely end up in the Etsy shop :D

I've had so much fun making them, although on one particular day, when I was well below par I made so many mistakes that the whole lot had to be unpicked and started again.  I also had an awful lot of help from the kittens, who were in fact evicted after Banshee tried to swallow a needle and thread.
It was simply too cold to do much work in the Studio, so I put on the fire and TV and listened to the soothing tones of Nigella Lawson cooing over mountains of butter and cream as she created meals to stop your heart after one bite :D  I adore her style though and can watch her cooking all the time, regardless of how many times I've seen an episode.  I could make a peanut butter cheesecake in my sleep!
The one above a leaf shaped organza skirt and the one below is sporting a very fetching hair band.  These dolls are all hand stitched and the obvious  stitching and flaws are all part of  their charm.
The little Fae below is wearing a scrap of very expensive trim as a shawl and a piece of hand dyed Scrim for her skirt.  I've been trying natural dyes on pieces of fabric and the tea/coffee combination is very effective.
The dolls have different skin tones, which is fun to play with alongside hair and clothing colour combinations.  I have a lot more to make and have some ideas for bigger dolls too.  These measure between 5 and 6inches.

When I have more time, I'll be playing with making wings, carved wooden adornments and some Steampunk themes.  Meanwhile the massive painting continues :D

8 comments:

Bovey Belle said...

Those look fun - fiddly to sew some bits though. I love their faces - the one on the left looks like Peaches Geldorf!

Yarrow said...

Hehe, thank you BB :D

Tammie Lee said...

i hope you are feeling better now! no fun to be unwell. your dolls are charming as can be. lovely weekend and fair to you!

Dartford Warbler said...

They are delightful Yarrow! You are clever. I hope they sell well for you.

laoi gaul~williams said...

they are so sweet...especially the red head! ;)

Kim said...

Oh, I can so identify with the redhead! They are all wonderful, and I hope you are feeling a bit better too.

Dragonfly Dreams said...

Ah sweet Yarrow! I LOVE THESE!!!

I am so sorry I have been away for awhile - I do hope you are feeling much better, my friend!

Beth Niquette said...

Oh, my. These are wonderful.