Thursday, 30 May 2013

The advantages of being unwell.

As I've mentioned on 'the other blog', I've been very unwell for quite some time. Finally the Doctors have decided I have Fibromyalgia. It's horrible. I'm not as ill as some people with worse conditions, but I'm not able to live my life the way I always have and that's taken some getting used to.

There are some days when the pain is un-relenting and I have no choice but to go with it and lose much precious time that I would rather be out, with the ponies or dog. Instead I've begun sketching. Anything and everything, lying on the sofa with dog and cats for cuddles and a hot water bottle on my back or legs. The result has been sketchbooks filling up and my brain turning those images into paintings almost before I've finished drawing. These are my Silver Lining Days.


Sometimes, I wedge the hot water bottle between my back and my chair and paint until my shoulders tell me to stop.  My style is evolving and my pictures bring me so much happiness that I  wish I'd sat still and done this years ago.

So far these paintings have the working titles of  'Fox in the silver trees'
and 'Silver in the Darkwoods'. 
Would you believe, I have three more on the easel as I type!!!

8 comments:

Beth Niquette said...

Sometimes the sad things, the hard times, pain such as you describe can have some unexpectedly rich and beautiful effects. ((hugs)) These paintings are beautiful. They fill my eyes--which is the highest compliment I can give.

Bovey Belle said...

It is so hard to have to listen to your body and obey it . . . as I have found in recent weeks. But that said, I am so glad that your sketching and painting is bringing you so much pleasure and satisfaction. Lovely paintings, btw.

Rosemari Roast said...

Your lovely artwork is likely better Medicine than you know.

Dragonfly Dreams said...

Releasing the creativity in your soul is a balm to us all as well. Beautiful paintings!

Tammie Lee said...

how wonderful that your art is a divine friend at this time in your life. It truly overflows with magic and your use of watercolors is special.

Yarrow said...

Thank you everyone, I'm so moved by your kind comments :D

laoi gaul~williams said...

i know what you mean-my mind is always full of ideas and i have so many projects on the go. over the years i have learnt that if i did not follow the need to create i would let the pain take over. so like you i do what i can and make notes of my ideas when the pain is too much. i am sure the pain puts us in a place where we can create better than ever before!

Beth Niquette said...

I am so looking forward to this week's sketches. Mine is already up! Woohoo!

When I nearly died a few years ago from a flesh-eating staph infection, I was in the hospital for 12 days. I remember the pain was so bad. But when I would draw in my sketchbook I didn't need as much pain meds.

I have the beginnings of arthritis and likely also have fibromyalgia. Mumsie has it, and the symptoms I am beginning to have seem to be the same.

My heart goes out to you and I hope you find answers to help the pain get better. ((hugs))