Tuesday, 11 June 2013

Word Sketch - Circus

I've been playing with pictures of Trapeze artists and it's taking me in all sorts of directions.  This is my favourite and I think it will become a painting, maybe the next one.

So, it's a day late but here's the Linky to share your circus pictures.



Also this week I've been working on my painting of Nimue who was consort/apprentice to the great Mage Merlin.  I call him Mage as Wizard seems a bit too Disney!!!  There are so many stories surrounding the relationship between Merlin and Nimue, some that they were lovers and others tell of her learning all she could from him before imprisoning him in a tree or cave.  I've simply painted her with his book of spells, sitting by the edge of the lake.  She has a sword, but is it Excalibur and is the face on the tree Merlin or simply because I've been watching too much Game of Thrones?  These answers are for the viewer to work out. I've given you the details, but the story is yours to weave.

It's not quite finished, but nearly there.  As I was painting the horse in the back ground, I sat back and suddenly realised that I'd painted my own sweet horse Oliver, who left this world six years ago.  He's never far from my thoughts but it's still a surprise when he pops up in a painting :D

I've also been doing some smaller paintings  and this one is 'School for Seahorses'. I'll be getting some cards and prints made for Etsy soon, so keep an eye out for these :D

4 comments:

Bovey Belle said...

Like you, my health is not on an even keel quite yet (but getting there, slowly). Loved your painting and glad that Oliver popped up in it. The school for seahorses has such a sense of freedom in it.

Yarrow said...

Thank you BB.x

Beth Niquette said...

How extraordinarily lovely. These fill my eyes, my Friend--which is the greatest compliment I can give.

Yarrow said...

Thank you lovely Beth :D