Wednesday, 16 October 2013

Playing with mucky water!

Sometimes I get very picky and my paintings get really tight and cluttered with details. That's the time I need to stop and throw some inky water around. There is still a tendency to try to control it, but then I end up with a plain black canvas or board!!!
I didn't do too much to this one, just let some of the ink run and then I sprayed on a little water and added salt, which works as well with ink as with watercolour!  Who knew???
This one ended up totally black at one point, but a few dabs with a tissue and some salt thrown on saved it.  I have no idea what will happen with these or how long it will take for inspiration to hit me, but I had a lot of messy fun and it's a good way to break out of a rut!
However, going back to tight detail for a moment, I've finished my little Steampunk Seahorse and he is currently residing in my website shop.  It's easy to purchase from it if you have paypal and you can find it here.
Tomorrow I'll be back to normal painting as I have a few horse portraits to tackle, plus some new paintings for the upcoming Witches Fair :D

2 comments:

rossichka said...

Hello, Kimberley! You are talking about painting horses as if it's the easiest thing in the world!:) Now is the most suitable moment to tell you that I began following your blog some years ago just because I liked your paintings of horses!
I see for the first time salt being used in painting and if my eyes don't lie to me, the effect is quite impressive!
Your Seahorse is so cute, I believe he'll find quickly someone to love him!
Hope you are having a lovely autumn!

Yarrow said...

Thank you so much Rossichka, such kind words.x