Friday, 17 January 2014

Tea wash.

What do you do to while away a stormy, rainy day? Play with tea, of course :D
I tried different techniques on four sheets of paper. The first two were soaked and stretched, but the large board was very hard to maneuver, so I gave up on the stretching part. It didn't make much difference as the paper warped so much anyway!!!
The first two sheets were cold pressed Bockingford and after making a strong jug of tea, I put messy washes onto the semi dry paper and then popped them into a hot oven for 10minutes.  This helped to speed up the process.  I then added another wash and emptied the contents of the tea bags onto the paper, below.

I popped the paper back in the oven and scraped off the tea when it was thoroughly dry using a stiff bristle brush.  The effects were random and to me, pleasing :D
This was the Bockingford paper.
This is a cheaper paper, smoother with less tooth, but the effects were still good and random.
Now to decide what paintings to do on these pages :D  I'll share the next steps as I go along.

4 comments:

Tammie Lee said...

fun to see your tea play.

Yarrow said...

Thank you Tammie, it was a tea party :D

Dartford Warbler said...

That takes me back to being a Primary teacher and tea-washing paper with the children, to make a base for writing "old" letters or letters from pirates!

Enjoy creating something with those interesting backgrounds.

renilde said...

these will make wonderful and inspiring backgrounds to one of your magical paintings,i can see figures and tales hiding in there already.
looks like you are having fun, good, xx