Sunday, 20 April 2014

Busy Bee

Happy Ostara dear bloggers :D
It's been a very busy time here at the Studio, with the Easter holidays and the general order of 'getting things done'!  I've still managed to get some portraits done though.  I started out doing a general picture of an Arab horse and as so often happens when I just draw, the picture turned into my old horse Oliver!
I decided to try some new paper for a portrait of Toffee and Bo.  The style is more serene than the one above, but I have to say that I hate the paper and I'll never use it again for pastels.  It lends itself well to ink which is worth investigating, but not pastels.  Tip, only use paper with a good tooth for pastels!
Here is the inspiration for Bo and Toffee.  They went in the same paddock for the first time and there was a lot of high jinks going on.  First a game of bitey face and
then a lot of standing together discussing the world!!!  There were bouts of running around like crazy beasts, but mostly they just stood :D
This little sketch was the result of a bad night and little sleep. I'm quite happy with it and will make it into greetings cards for when I finally update the Etsy shop and website.

4 comments:

Countryside Tales said...

I love the portrait of Oliver and the owl in particular- beautiful :-)

rossichka said...

Oh, you have such a special talent for drawing horses! I adore the new paintings, especially Oliver's portrait!!
Bo and Toffee's love story is so touching...
Lovely nuances in the owl - I'm just wondering what's he thinking about?:)
Have a sunny and warm new week, Kimberley!xx

Bovey Belle said...

The picture of Oliver is so beautiful and I love the one of the owl - you have a real talent for birds.

Glad you had a productive Easter anyway.

Yarrow said...

Thank you for the kind comments dear friends.x