Thursday, 8 May 2014

Eeek!

Sometimes a painting feels like wading through treacle and I honestly despair that it will come right.  Some artists don't share their 'in progress' paintings, instead just displaying the finished pieces with a big 'Ta Daa'!!!  Why do I share what can sometimes be called, plain ugly pictures?  Because I want to encourage anyone who wants to hold a pencil or paintbrush to have a go.  Keep at it or you'll never know what can be done.  However, some of the following pictures are so awful that for once I'll start with the nearly finished piece.  I'm quite happy with this, and although it's not perfect, it's so like my lovely Toffee that I can't wait to hang it :D
 This was the stage when I thought it would come right.  I painted the face and the panicky feeling subsided.
 This point, however was when I wanted to quit painting altogether and run away to join a circus (or work in the corner shop!), anything other than face this hair pulling nightmare!
 The chalk sketch, that moment when anything is possible and the panic hasn't set in!
So, I say to you dear blog readers, give it a go.  I've shared my most ugly painting ever and it managed to come right in the end :D  Now I'm off for a strong coffee while I clean my brushes :D

9 comments:

Dartford Warbler said...

You are absolutely right about "getting" the eyes and the face/expression. Once you have those in an animal portrait, the rest seems to follow.

"Toffee" is really good. Enjoy having him/her on the wall!

Beth Niquette said...

I adore this painting. When I'm painting, or drawing, it niggles at me until I work and work on it and somehow it ends up working.

(grin) You are so very talented and this painting fills my eyes!

Yarrow said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Yarrow said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Yarrow said...

Thank you dear friends, your words are so kind :D

Yarrow said...

Not sure what happened, but my replies seemed to multiply!!!

Bovey Belle said...

I don't paint (!) but when I draw I do it minutely, working from area to finished area. Weird I'm sure, to you, and I dare say it tells you something about my personality!

Yarrow said...

Haha, BB, it's the typical Aries thing to do and how I draw usually :D

Dragonfly Dreams said...

Beautiful (even in the rough) because it is "real" and it is "your voice."