Wednesday, 15 April 2015

Painting on wood.

I can't believe how wonderful our weather is at the moment.  I've been enjoying the solitude in my little Studio in the garden and have been getting down to the business of working on my lovely wooden pieces.
The first piece was a simple square block with the most lovely grain and I knew I didn't want to paint over the whole thing.  The black lines are called 'spalting' which comes from a form of fungus growing in the dead wood.  This piece is most likely Maple and as I sat with it on my desk for a week or so, it came to me that it would make a good backdrop for Totorro, the character created by Hayao Miyazaki.  My dear one routed the back so that I could make this into a clock and I must say I'm very happy with it :D
This piece is a slice of oak that I picked up on one of my walks a few years ago with the dog!  Having been polished to a glassy sheen, I decided to paint one of my old style hares on it.
This was the original hare that I first painted in 2006!!!  The style has evolved a bit since then!!! I think I may even still have some of the greetings cards that I made from this picture!
And a cheaper version, below is what I'm working on next.  These versions will be on plywood as the slices of tree wood are quite hard to come by and take a lot of work to sand down, not to mention the months of letting the wood dry out enough before it's ready to sand!
I'll be getting my shop updated on the website and Etsy, so pop back soon for more details.

3 comments:

Bovey Belle said...

Those are lovely Kim, and I hope they fly out of your Etsy shop.

Yarrow said...

Thank you BB :D

Dragonfly Dreams said...

LOVE the hares! You are such a wonderful artist!